I'm in Madison Monday-Wednesday, so I'm posting the questions ahead of time.
1. Mickey wasn't originally going to by called Mickey. What was Walt's first choice for a name (extra points for why he changed it!).
2. What was the name of the first Mickey Mouse movie released?
3. How many movies (not counting TV show) has Mickey appeared in?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
# 2 is Steamboat Willie.... I think
ReplyDelete#1 Mortimer. changed to Mickey in honor of Mickey Rooney
ReplyDelete#2 think mom's right
#3 ??? not sure, um, lots?
1 is Mortimer. Walt was riding home on a train from NYC, disappointed that his latest cartoon pitch hadn't been picked up. He started doodling a little Mouse that he felt represented the American 'everyman'. He originally named him Mortimer, but his wife Lillian thought that the name was too snobby and suggested Mickey. The connection to Mickey Rooney has been disputed...some saying that Rooney started that rumor himself ;)
ReplyDelete#2 is Steamboat Willie - although it was actually the third one he made. He rereleased it with music after the success of the Jazz Singer.
#3 Over 140 movies.